Fashion Needs and consumption-Individual Aspect

FROM MINDLESS TO MINDFUL 

Journey from Fashionista to Minimalist:

Sustainable and Ethical Fashion was not the words of my dictionary. I mean I really have never thought about that how is that impacting the society. I really had no idea about that. I would have never realized till the time I got my salary credited and soon after that it went to zero. It was my credit card auto deduction.

 Like Really…..

Where did I spent all that amount? It was a huge one.

Clothes? But I have nothing to wear…..

 Being involved in blogging community and watching beauty channels daily only encouraged me to buy more. Every new occasion ……a new dress. More stuff I didn’t need or use or possibly even want. I have always been ruthless about getting rid of stuff. But I certainly had too much, way more than I ever needed. Looking back, I realize now I was a mindless consumer. It was a vicious cycle.

Even Though I was working with a Bank, since a long time but I was always attracted towards fashion Industry. I read books about branding. I knew how marketing and advertising worked to manipulate us, I still wanted things I didn’t need. I still bought things even though I had enough. When I finished MBA and found myself with a higher disposable income, I would buy clothes frequently. I’d watch beauty product reviews and fashion hauls on YouTube and continuously add things to my wish list, which I would inevitably buy. I would buy something new every week, sometimes every day. I would buy things faster than I could use what I already owned.

 I still wanted things.

It was my ten days trip to Ladakh  that inspired me think about minimalist. I had spent so much money to buy so many unnecessary things for the trip. Eventually I did not even use those at all. I always had some big plans to step up my own clothing Brand. For that I need to have more money. Starting a business in fashion made me dig deeper for answers to questions I had about fashion and educate myself about how the industry worked. I learned a lot and it opened my eyes to how ignorant I had been.


Comments

  1. I love the way you have attached a personal feeling to this blog. I am sure anyone reading this would feel inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small incident is enough to open our eyes and it's nice to know that you have developed a change in you from being a mindless consumer to a minimalistic. In the same way, everyone should be aware of mindless consumerism and fast fashion's ill effects and should bring a change in them for our better environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes the smallest of experiences can prove to be the biggest stepping stone in the
    right direction! And I feel like your trip to Ladakh did just that for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about your personal experience of being fashionista to minimalist inspired me to change myself too and BUYING ONLY WHEN NECESSARY.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment